Last weekend Leisha (@leishamulveyfit) and I embarked on a culinary adventure and created 3 awesome healthy recipes. Head over to Leisha’s blog for the recipes for our Vegan Avocado & Lime Cheesecake and Vegan Veggie Quiche (and loads more tips on active living and healthy eating). But make sure you come straight back here if you fancy whipping up a fluffy chocolatey peanut buttery cakey storm! This recipe is vegan and refined sugar free and works with gluten free flour too!
Vegan & Refined Sugar Free Chocolate Peanut Cupcakes
1 ¼ cups plain flour
½ cup cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup light coconut milk
½ cup water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup organic coconut sugar
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 ½ tsp fruit syrup
4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tsp fruit syrup
¼ cup light coconut milk
1 handful crushed peanuts
- Preheat oven to 180 celsius and line cupcake pan with paper cupcake cases
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, water and vinegar with the sugar, oil and fruit syrup.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture and beat well until ingredients form a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake cases until 2/3 full – should make between 10 and 12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Beat together the icing ingredients in a small bowl. You may need to adjust the quantities to achieve the desired consistency; add more peanut butter for a stiffer mixture and more coconut milk for a runnier one.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, spoon icing onto the top of each and smooth with the back of a spoon. Top with crushed peanuts.