I’ve recently been trying to increase the amount of ‘anti-inflammatory’ foods in my diet. Inflammation is part of the body’s immune response and occurs when we are undergoing some kind of stress. These stresses can come from external/outside sources such as air pollution or bacteria, or from internal/inside sources such as foods we have eaten. This response helps the body to fight off infection, however, if inflammation gets out of control it can cause damage to cells. Long-term inflammation has even been linked to heart disease, obesity and cancer. Anti-inflammatory foods are thought to be able to reduce the amount of inflammation in the body in order to protect against cell damage.
There are a number of foods which are thought to be ant-inflammatory including ginger, most fruits and vegetables, cayenne pepper, nuts, seeds and turmeric. Incorporating these foods into your diet may help reduce inflammation in the body. A great way to fit more anti-inflammatory foods into your diet is to add them to your breakfast. Cue: Turmeric & Black Pepper Porridge!
Turmeric & Black Pepper Porridge
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 scoop vegan protein (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- Few grinds black pepper
- Using a fork, mash the banana in a small bowl.
- Add the banana, as well as all the other ingredients, to a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until desired consistency is reached).
- If the porridge dries out a little, add more milk and stir until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with desired toppings – I used stewed berries, soy yoghurt, peanut butter, warmed soy milk and homemade granola.
Enjoy! Let me know if you make a batch by tagging me ( @charlotteemmma ) in your creations on Instagram!